Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Do you have Censorship?

This is the first blog about my trip to Zimbabwe. It was an awesome trip and I am thankful for all the people who prayed for our team while we were gone. I am also thankful for a church that supported my journey.

There is so much to share that is life changing, I will share some things this Sunday with some pictures and video.

We did Vacation Bible School at different villages throughout the week. We would go to a local school in a village where they would allow us to take time out of their regular day to share about God.

I was the one who told the Bible story for the VBS. After I was done I would tell the children they could ask me any question about my life they wanted. We were in the village of Mukazi. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life. The school meets in what used to be the homestead of a white farmer. It sat on the top of a mountain that overlooked the plains. It was run down, with broken windows and dirty walls. It was obviously a magnificent home at one time.

Mukazi is in an area that is very oppressed by the government of Zimbabwe. When I asked the third grade class if they had any questions about the United States a girl asked me, "Do you have censorship in your country like we do?"

You have to be careful talking about politics in Zimbabwe, but obviously this third grade girl wanted to know about the freedom we have in the United States. The first answer which popped into my head was, "No." But I stopped and remembered where I was and answered, "Sometimes."

We could never do in our schools what we were doing in Zimbabwe. The impact that was made for the kingdom in Zimbabwe in that week were amazing. I wonder what it would be like if we had the same freedom in the schools here that they have in Zimbabwe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you were a true blessing to all you met over there. I have never met anyone like you and am proud to call you my brother...now you have it in writing. I can't wait to read follow-on blogs about your travels! I am glad you made it home safe!!!