Saturday, November 7, 2009

Zimbabwe Day 2



I woke at 6:30 in the morning to singing. By the time I got my video camera they had stopped singing, but these women were walking through the village praying and singing. They would stop at different huts and pray. Then they headed for the church where we had a teaching time at 10 and then a church service at 11.

It was amazing to see these women committed enough to get up early and prepare for worship. The worship service was fun, there was a lot of energy in the singing. We took communion and they took up an offering. I was a little surprised they took up and offering considering the average income is about $1200 a year, but people still gave.

I got to preach that morning. It was really cool. I talked about the wondering cattle that are in the village. Since it is dry, people let their cattle (pronounced "kettle") wonder. At the end of the day they go and gather their cattle to come home. While I was talking about the wondering cattle we had a cow and some goats wonder by (we joked that it was my 3-d power point). I compared it to the lost sheep and lost coin. I challenged the church to go out and gather those who are wondering through the village without God.

During announcements after the message, a lady turned in an announcment about a lost goat she hoped people could help her find. I bet none of you have heard that announced in a church service before.

Later in the day I got to see the community gardens and the houses that are being built for the preachers. From there we went to the Moshoko Christian Hospital started by the Pruets in 1958. I will blog on this later.

No comments: