Friday, December 26, 2008

What a Great Christmas

I had a great Christmas this year. It had nothing to do with a present I received, it had to do with people.

My focus really changed this year. Instead of going into Christmas like scrooge (I did have some Scrooge moments though. When I almost got hit by a car in the mall parking lot I did let out an "I hate Christmas"), I tried really hard to see it through the eyes of a relational God. A God that gave himself at Christmas, not some obligatory gift.

Rhonda and I did not get anything for each other this year at Christmas. It was a mutual agreement. On Monday night I made sure this was what we were going to do (you know how that can be, we are not going to get each other something, but it is still expected).

Rhonda said she wished we could give people who had real needs something instead of getting each other something. We were already going to give money to our Advent Conspiracy offering at the candlelight service, but she wanted to do more. (The offering is going to buy water filter systems for people in Zimbabwe.)

I called my friend John, who is letting Pete stay at his house (Read More about Pete). I asked him if Pete could use anything for Christmas. He told me he had a coat, but it was to small.

"Perfect!"

I went to the mall again with a different attitude. I found a coat, Rhonda wrapped it and we gave it to Pete after the Christmas Candlelight service.

I handed it to him and told him he could open it now. He said he would rather put it under the tree. He now got to participate with others as they opened their gifts. He was not going to just watch this year.

God taught me how to love Christmas. Instead of being Scrooge, look for ways to give of yourself and refuse to become a part of the commercialization of Christmas. Give relationally, give of yourself and change someones life for a moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For "Pete's" sake has become a little motto for me since reading your original posting about Pete. Our family adopted 3 families this Christmas and had our children do the shopping for the kids involved. They bought the things that they would like to have themselves rather than just shopping from the clearance aisle. It was a real eye opener for all of us. We usually do something every year, but for some reason, the story of Pete kept coming to mind. So, for me, the gifts were for "Pete's" sake because of Christ and his ultimate gift. Thanks for sharing this. Queenie