Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Twitter, Facebook and Blogs


I have signed up for Twitter and Facebook. I have no idea what I'm doing, but since everybody is doing it must be beneficial. I have now entered the hip world of technology. It's official- I am hip! Now everybody can know what I am doing and when I am doing it. That's just what I want, everybody knowing every little detail of my life. I am now the producer of my own "Truman Show."

Hold on, I need to jump over to Twitter and post that I am now blogging.

Great, twitter is down for data base maintenance (it really is!). Now people will not know what I am doing.

By the way, I will not be able to update my blog, twitter or facebook over the next few days. I am heading to West Virginia in the morning to Turkey Hunt. Where I am going not even Nextel will be able to hear me now. Maybe when I get back I will post some pictures on my face book (I guess that is what I am suppose to do). Just so you know, I will be hunting on a ridge above these falls, tomorrow evening.

I going to be in a place where life is much more simple. Technology is not something everyone thinks they need. I think, they even enjoy life more, because they know what it means to slow down.

Hold on, my cell phone is ringing (not really, I am just trying to make a point).

Look, God wants us to slow down and rest. He built it in to the top ten commandments. Jesus said, "The sabbath (day of rest) was made for man, not man for the sabbath."

Wayne Muller wrote a book called "Sabbath." In it he gives some practical ways to practice the Sabbath. He talks about some people he knows that have what they call a sabbath box. They explain, "On Friday, someone stands at the door with the Shabbos box and as people enter the house for the evening meal, they put anything they know should not be taken into sacred space. Then stripped of all our tools and machines, we can truly pray, 'God, there is nothing I can do about these concerns, so I know it is in your hands.'"

We do not rest because we can't let go of our means of communication. We have gotten to a point where we can not live without our cell phone, computer, email, facebook, twitter, blog and other media.

It is refreshing to go to Wayside, West Virginia where that stuff doesn't matter. It is just you, God and people who have learned the secret of slowing down.

How about you? How many times do you slow down and experience the presence of God?

Try it for a day. Fast from your cell phone and computer one day. If you can't, your addicted to those things and that may be cluttering your relationship with God.

Be still and know He is God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never EVER thought I would say this but you are more hip than I am. What the heck? I have never even heard of Twitter! Facebook, yes. Twitter, No.

Anonymous said...

Great comment Scott.
I too am on Facebook and wanting to check it everyday. God, help me.
I was off yesterday and didn't know what to do! I found myself surfing the net when I should have been reading a book or meditating on God's word.
Have a happy Thanksgiving!