Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Amazing Lunch

Yesterday I met some people for lunch at Luigi's in Akron. A great Italian place on N. Main Street. After lunch we walked out and saw a sign for an organic restaurant. Organic, yuck! We had just had pasta, salad with lots of cheese and bread. Who wants organic?

I walked up to the window and started reading the menu. It really didn't look so bad. A guy who worked there made his way to the door and opened it. He asked me if I was hungry and I said, "No." (I know, it is hard to believe that is what came out of my mouth).

He invited me in to see what they were serving for lunch. It looked amazing. Salisbury steak, roasted carrots, pasta with alfredo sauce. (I started getting hungry again. But I did not fall to temptation and eat again).

As I was walking out a man with a thick gray beard asked me where I was from and what I did. I hate that question sometimes because i never know how someone is going to react. I also stumble with what to say because I am not sure what to say. Do I call myself a "pastor," "minister," "preacher," or "rabbi?"

When I said I was a minister, the guy showing me the food said let's say a blessing together. He grabbed my hand along with the bearded guy and we prayed. It was awesome. I was hoping Doug and Clay would walk up at that moment to see us standing in the front window praying. They came a few minutes later while I was sitting down talking to Rockne. The Rockne. The guy Rockne's restaurant is named after. Another local restaurant chain this guy founded.

Clay, Billy and I went back today for lunch. It was incredible! Yeah, that's right I ate at an organic restaurant and liked it. I am going back once a week. I do not know what day yet, it depends on what they are serving. They took down my email address and each morning I will get the menu for that days lunch. I can't wait.

Since they are just trying to get their lunch business launched, there is hardly anyone there. So Rockne talked to us about his sausage making class he is going to teach. For $85 you get to learn the right way to sharpen a knife, get an apron/hat, 5lbs. of Hungarian Sausage and a meal. I'm in, like Kramer and Newman in Jerry's apartment.

He gave us a tour of the upstairs art gallery's. He also gave us a history of the building. The rooms artist are now using to create their art started out as rooms for workers in the rubber plants. Each room had three beds and three lockers. Each worker rotated through the rooms. They had eight hours for sleep, eight hours for work and eight hours for fun, where they may have spent their time in the pub downstairs.

Once they began building houses in Akron. The rooms were used for, well let's just say a place where ladies entertained men. That is where it gets the name "Red Light Gallery's."

I have to say it was one of the most entertaining lunches I have had lately. I learned some good history of Akron and had a great meal. If you get a chance stop by and have lunch at "The Northside," tell them Scott sent you. If they look at you with a blank face say "the preacher from Tallmadge." I am sure within the next few months they will know who you are talking about.

One last thing, they are open for dinner and have the oldest stage in Akron where local talent play just baout everynight. I am going to check this out in the near future as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this place... been there with a friend whose band plays there frequently. i too have toured the 2nd floor, almost eery, knowing the history and stories that building has seen. food is great and the ambience is quite unique in my opinion. (Luigi's is amazing too!) thanks for sharing your story... Deeds

Anonymous said...

You have the most amazing experiences. I need to go to lunch with you whenever I can.

Anonymous said...

It is fantastic that you found another new place to eat. I can attest to the fact that, that has been common in most of your life. At least you learn the history of the place. There is a place in Yeehaw Junction, Fl that has a similar history, but the food is not that good.

WV Man