Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"The Shack"

A couple months ago Louie Weber told me I had to read a book called "The Shack" by William P. Young. It is a novel. I don't like to read novels. Rhonda says I need to read more fiction. I could not put this one down. The pictures that Young painted were incredible. He really dealt with some tough faith issues in the church.

Beginning July 27th we are going to start a series called "The Shack." We are going to talk about some of the faith issues Young addresses. We are going to teach on the trinity, faith, forgiveness, judgement and how God views our life. Some of the pictures he uses to describe these parts of faith are amazing.

I want to encourage you to read "The Shack." The first few chapters are well written, the topic is just difficult- stay with it, it is worth it.

One side note on the book. Some Christian circles are upset with the way Young portrays God. He explains why he does what he does in the novel- stay with it, it is worth it. Those who complain about the novel need to remember just that-it's fiction. There is some really good teaching in this book. It is a good read while on vacation.

Check out the website to find out more:www.theshackbook.com

2 comments:

Adam Gonnerman said...

It's been in my Amazon.com shopping cart for a while. Soon....

Anonymous said...

After you mentioned it to me, I bought it and couldn't put it down. I am getting ready to read it a second time. It brings many things out clearly. I now am reading the Bible with a new excitement.