Wednesday, July 2, 2008

North American Christian Convention (Day 2)

We checked Cole and Seth into the kids activity today. They went to the Cincinnati Museum. They had a blast.

Rhonda, Eli and I went to the main session this morning. John Weece from Southland Christian spoke. He said something we need to really think about at Northwest. He said, "Is it possible the church has focused more on 'what' rather than 'who?'" Most churches have missed presenting the "who" (and I do not mean the band) because they have been to focused on the "what."

You know what? God is not interested in the "what." He has always focused on the "Who" and the "who" (and right about now you are thinking "what?"). The reason I capitalized one of the "who's" is because one of the "who's" God focuses on (and the same "Who" we should be focused on) is Jesus.

The lower case "who" is you and me. And I do not know about you, but I am glad God does not focus on the "what" in my life.

Next I went to a workshop with Mike Breaux. His topic was on communicating change. He talked about "Transformational Teaching." Teaching that creates an atmosphere where people can encounter the changing power of God. It was great stuff! It is something we need to consider when we put together series and teachings for Sunday morning.

Then tonight I took the boys to a Reds game. The Reds stink. But we had a great time! If you look close on ESPN, watch Jay Bruce's second home run and you may see Cole (Cole has his hands up in the air)and Eli in the background. Seth and I were in the bathroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I expected you to break out into a "who's on second" routine