Sunday, April 25, 2010

Miss Maxwell


Friday I was in Salem, Virginia. Salem is my hometown and in my opinion is the greatest city in the country. One of the things that makes Salem so great is that it is surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is beautiful.

But the greatest thing about Salem is the people. I grew up in an awesome neighborhood. There is a small valley on Broad Street that had a mix of people who truly loved doing life together.

When one of my best friends heard I was coming in town he and his mother orchestrated a luncheon with some of the women from that neighborhood. They were known as the "Broad Street Broads" of which my mother belonged. They had t-shirts made up and wore them proudly even though the name may be condescending to some. They didn't care though because it was the association with each other that was the most important thing.

It was great seeing them all because they are all people who helped shape me into the person I am today.

There was a surprise that day also. When Lewis (the best friend I was referring to earlier) told me that our 1st and 3rd grade teacher was coming to lunch I got tears in my eyes.

Miss Maxwell, the greatest teacher I ever had. When I have driven by the old Academy Street School I always thing about her. She influenced all of us in some way. She will be 94 this week and is the same person now that she was then. I first met her in 1971. She reminded Friday that I was not fond of going to school that first week. My mother used to have to drag me in crying because I didn't want to be there. It quickly changed because Miss Maxwell made it easy for me to adapt to this new adventure.



Miss Maxwell taught me how to read and write. She helped mold both Lewis and me into the people we are today. One of the things I remember most about her class is her boldness. Even though it was looked down on in many schools and would never be done today, she would read the Christmas story every day before we started our studies. Each of us would take turns acting out the Christmas story. Some of us would be angels, shepherds, Mary and Joseph. The left overs got to chose to be animals like sheep, cows, chickens and even pigs.

We all left 3rd grade knowing the real meaning of Christmas. We all left being able to read, write and do math.

The thing that struck me on Friday is that she still has the heart of a teacher. I believe she would still be able to control a class of 1st graders and make them feel like they were the most important people in the world.

Today I want to thank her for all she has meant to so many of us. I also want to thank the Broad Street Broads for being there then and even today. I want to thank Lewis for being a life long friend.

Most of all I want to thank God for putting these people in my life. He dealt me a great hand of cards even when things didn't always go the way I would want them.

Man, I love Salem, Virginia!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post!