Thursday, January 7, 2010

Spectator or Participant?

As people are trying to decide to call it "twenty-ten" or "two thousand ten" I am trying to decide what 2010 is going to look like. I know that we can't predict the future, be we can make choices that influence the future.

If you are like me, I am tired of the status quo. I sometime sit back and wait for God to change things. I pray for God to change my heart to be more like His. There are moments I feel like God is really about to do something big. Then the time passes and nothing big really happens.

I think it is because I have a habit of being a spectator of God rather than participating with God. It is easy sitting back and asking God to move, but when you don't move with Him don't expect any grand results.

Let me give you an example. I pray for God to help me with weight loss. It is one of those things I truly commit to prayer often. I just seem to get fatter. What is the deal? The deal is that I do not rely on Him to help me, I just want him to take the weight off. If it was that easy I guess there would be millions of people who would jump on that weight loss plan.

I can ask Him for encouragement, conviction through the Spirit and discipline. But I still have to move myself. So I set a goal of losing 2 lbs a week. I am going to journal about it and make God a big part of my lifestyle change.

We have to stop asking God for help and then do nothing. We have to stop just watching God and we have to start participating with God.

What things have you been asking God to help you with lately? Are you spectating or participating? Let me know.

No comments: