Thursday, July 9, 2009

Conversaton with a Hindu (3)

I met with my Hindu friend last night. We are going to set up a time to go eat Indian Food together. I want him to show me what to order. There is nothing like sharing a meal together.

Last night we talked about Genesis, particularly Adam, Eve and the fall. When Ram got there he said he wanted to talk about Genesis. I saw this as a moment of God's providence because I too was feeling led to talk about Genesis.

He asked me about the forbidden tree, the tree of "knowledge." He wanted me to define "knowledge." I knew where he was going because in the Hindu way of life, knowledge is important. There is a point in which we reach a level of enlightenment. I believe this is true in Christianity as well. Although our points of enlightenment are different.

I explained to him I have often wondered why God placed a tree in the garden, pointed it out and said "don't eat the fruit from this tree." It is like telling a child not to play with something. The child probably wouldn't have messed with "whatever," if you had not drawn attention to it. I told him that the purpose of the tree was to provide a way for man to "choose" to follow God with "free will."

But there is another part to the tree of knowledge of good and evil. We have to understand good and evil in order to truly be enlightened to God's love for people. This enlightenment revolves around grace. Grace is the point of enlightenment for a Christian. It goes beyond just using the word "grace." It's the point in which we realize we do not deserve God's love, we can not buy God's love and we can not earn God's love. God freely gives us grace because of our condition due to sin. It is freeing when we realize we are no longer bound by a law system.

Another thing I am finding out about the Hindu way of life is that they are trying to achieve a point where they become one with God. So are we as Christians aren't we? Now it is a much different way of thinking than Christianity, but the goal is the same. I asked Ram how do you reach the goal of being one with God? He told me this is where meditation becomes important.

I told him Christians desire oneness with God also. Our oneness though is an eternal relationship with God, in His presence. This oneness comes through grace. Our grace comes only through Jesus. We have to believe in Jesus, who did not deserve to die. He chose to die and pay our penalty for sin. He was buired and resurrected. All of which happened so our penalty could be paid in full.

At one point in the conversation he did say he believed in Jesus. I need to talk to him further on that comment. Next time he is going to talk about the importance of meditation for a Hindu and how that brings us into oneness the Brahman. I am going to talk about becoming one with Jesus' death, burial and Resurrection through Christian baptism. Which again tells the story of Grace.

Keep praying God leads this discussion. Less of me, more of God.

No comments: