Friday, September 12, 2008

Top Ten Places to Eat (follow up)

I got a phone call this morning and a friend of mine asked me, "Why did you post your top ten places to eat?" I did my top ten places to eat because I had not posted in a while. I decided it was time and could not think about anything to blog about. I saw a commercial for Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and thought "I am going to talk about my favorites diners, drive-ins and dives." No purpose for the blog. In reality I am jealous of Guy that he has such a great job. Some aspire to be doctors or lawyers. Me I want to be the host of Diners, Drive-in and Dives.

Anyway, back to the phone call. My friend said, "Look at your list. What do most of the places have in common?"

My first response was, "They have good food and good portions (portions are important to me).

He went on to say, "It is not just about the food, is it? Isn't it about the people you were with?"

There is truth to what he said. These places stick out because of the relational experience as much as the culinary experience. It makes sense though, God created us with the need to have authentic community with other people. In the Bible we see authentic community often happens around a common meal.

We underestimate the need to experience authentic community. There has been a lot said about the "Third Place." We have our family relationships, our work relationships and then there is a need for a third place where relationship happens. For some it is a bar, a coffee shop or a club.

Is it possible the need for a third place is God given and the church should fill that need? The problem is churches fail to see the need to create the third place where authentic community happens. Churches, Northwest, needs to take seriously the need of the third place. It is important to be intentional about small groups (not just home Bible Studies). It is more about groups of people who learn to do life together. It is about people who eat together, serve together, laugh together and cry together.

It is more about experiencing authentic community than the place.

Here is an assignment. Put together your own top ten list and see if it does not produce places where authentic community happens. Then ask yourself this, "How can I help duplicate this culture in the church?" Then do it!

I would like to thank my friend for the insight from a blog that I thought had no purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how relationships stick out in mind when various places were mentioned. I actually remember my first Chili Willies experience was with a group including you! I cherish the relationships God has given me in my life...my family, friends and my church! Thanks for being a friend!

Queenie