Friday, September 26, 2008

Are you living in such a way as to fulfill your calling?

The last two days I had the opportunity to go to South Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio to help build a community park. Scott Pugh, the lead planter at Velocity has been building a presence through service. When approached to help find volunteers to build the play ground, Scott asked those who are partnering to send people to help. Northwest and Rivertree has sent many volunteers to help with the build.

So, I got to go. I am not much of a carpenter, but I did get some on the job training. I put down decking and learned to use a router. Yesterday Billy (our worship guy), Clay (student ministry dude) and I put together some railings. I have to say, they looked pretty good.

While there I got to meet a guy who travels all over the country managing volunteers to build these giant play grounds. Next week he is going to Hawaii to build and from there to Chattanooga. He said something to me on Wednesday explaining why he liked doing this job. He said, "It is awesome watching people work together to build something."

He's right. It is awesome! I love how God works. I am currently doing a two week series called "The Mr. Potato Head Chronicles." The idea is that God has uniquely designed people and churches to build his kingdom. We either work together to build the church or we just go to church.

In the Bible, Paul urges the church (people who make up the church) to "live a life worthy of the calling they have received," We all have a calling, whether it is you as an individual or it is a church. And with that calling comes a responsibility to live our lives fulfilling that calling. Barry, the project manager, sees his calling as working with volunteers to build something for the community. What is your calling? Are you living in such a way as to fulfill that calling?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the new look. I wish I could have helped with the build. Do you have any pictures to share?