Friday, March 28, 2008

Francis of Assisi and the missional church

A couple weeks ago somone handed me a book to read. I was excited until I heard that it was a novel. I am not a big novel reader. I think this one was my fourth in my adult life. The book was called "Chasing Francis" by Ian Morgan Cron. It was one of the most inspirational books I have ever read. I hardly ever read books twice, but this one I plan to read again and do the Study Guide in the back of the book.

The book is a story of a minister who goes on a pilgrimage in Italy with an Uncle who is a Franciscan Priest. The journey is based on the heart of St. Francis of Assisi's ministry. His mission statement was based on the rule of 1221 which said that Franciscans were to "proclaim the Word of God openly, calling on people to repent, believe and be baptized."

The book talks about how Jesus followers should live out their faith. They are to focus on the life of Jesus reading the Gospels not as nice stories or teachings, but as books that teach us how to live. We should promote peace in our families, our church, our community, our neighborhood and throughout the world. We should not only help those in poverty, but we should help them gain their dignity. This comes from a willingness to touch people who may make us uncomfortable. Assisi saw the importance of authentic commnity with God and other Jesus followers.

Everyone could learn something from this book. But if you are a minister who is wondering why you may have some frustration in your church. If you wonder if this is really what you signed up for when you went into ministry. If you are thinking about getting out of minsitry. If you need new vision for the church you lead. Then read the book!

The book is also a great book to describe the missional church. It is amazing to see that Francis of Assisi was pursing to turn the church into a missional church back in the 12th century. And through this pursuit he is known as the one who saved the church and kept it alive. The church in the 21st century needs the same boost today. It needs to become a place where people can be a part a something that has real meaning.

May prayer is that I can begin a journey to have the passion, the love for God and the love for people that Francis of Assisi learned from Jesus. I also pray that I have the courage to follow Jesus' lead and that Northwest can truly become a missional Church.

No comments: