Monday, July 13, 2020

When God Teaches

Part of my renewed desire to blog comes from a spiritual journey I am on with some guys. We are reading a book together called "Revival Starts Here" by Dave Clayton. The book is described on the front cover as "A short conversation on Prayer, Fasting, and Revival." Not only are we reading it together, but in our discussions it is leading us to actually begin to take the time to fast an pray about some things. I am not going to get into what we are specifically praying and fasting about but I am going to briefly share what God is teaching me.

1. He is teaching me revival is not about a movement in which it is measured by a number of people attending a church service regularly. Revival is about God renewing a passion for what He is passionate about. In our discussions, all of the prayer and fasting centers around people who are in our families, co-workers, people we worship with and ourselves. The old hymn "Revive Us Again" nails where revival takes place: "Revive us again, fill each heart with thy love, may each soul be rekindled, with fire from above." This includes my soul and the the souls of those around me.

2. He is teaching me where our focus needs to be as a church and as a follower. As we go through this pandemic, we can begin to see what is most in important. Jim Collins said, "Good is the enemy of great." While having worship with others every Sunday is Good. And having a small group, Sunday School class and huddle is good. What is it that would make it great? Focusing on the right things make it great. A focus on what God is teaching us and how we are going to use what He teaches us moves us from good to great. While we desire to get back to the good things we had before, what is God teaching us through this time of exile that could make us great.

3. He is teaching me that I need to trust Him. During this time of fasting an prayer while I walk at lunch, He always leads my prayer time to a place I would have never thought of on my own. These last several blog posts come right after a time of prayer and fasting. These blog post are sort of a journal of that intentional time with God. It is a way for me to remember what He is teaching me as we walk and talk together.

When we are intentional to really seek God, He is always teaching us on that journey. Are you listening?

No comments: