Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Don't Ger to Comfortable

I was Reading Bob Goff's new book "Dream Big." I wrote a note in the margins that says this, "One of the most powerful paragraphs I have ever read." He is talking about a time in Somalia that got a little tense to say the least. In the chaos he says "Yikes!" Here is a portion of the paragraph: "I know it doesn't sound big, deep, and theological, but it's big, deep, and theological. Here's why. I've spent my whole life becomming more and more comfortable. I have a house, a car, a boat. . . What I have discovered is that comfortable people don't need Jesus and don't chase their ambitions--desperate people do." It made me think about myself and the the church. Have we become to comfortable in our faith? This time during the pandemic has made us very uncomfortable. We don't know what the next week, month or year is going to look like. We have become desperate in a sense and long to just get back to what is comfortable. But what happens if we lean into the discomfort looking toward Jesus as our place of peace? Where will He lead us/you over the months ahead? How can He build His church to advance His Kingdom in ways we would never experience in our comfort? The only way to know is to become desperate for Him. As Michael W. Smith's song "Breathe" says: "I am desperate for you, I am lost without you."

No comments: