Friday, February 4, 2011

Sin, Religion and Grace (part 2)

Here are some more thoughts from Timothy Keller's book, "The Reason for God":

"Religion operates on this principle 'I obey--therefore I am accepted by God.' But the operating principle of the gospel is 'I am accepted by God through what Christ has done--therefore I obey.' Two people living their lives on the basis of these two different principles may sit next to each other in the church pew." - Timothy Keller

"The Christian gospel is that I am so flawed that Jesus had to die for me, yet I am so loved and valued that Jesus was glad to die for me." - Timothy Keller

There is a distinct difference between someone who goes to church because it is their religion and someone who is a part of the church because of grace. The former goes to church because they feel like they have to in order to please God and show everyone they are a Christian. The later participates as a part of the church because they get to as a child of God.

The difference is how we view our relationship with God. Once we get grasp the reality that we are his children and we are accepted by Him despite our flaws we live our lives differently in relation to Him. We obey not out of obligation but because we serve a God who loves and values us because we are His.

Religion crushes the spirit, grace brings life.

4 comments:

Adam J Fisher said...

That first quote is going up in my classroom. That is so true! I bet the majority of people think the first way, but the 2nd way is how we should be living our faith!

Anonymous said...

I think your grammar needs some grace. Re-read your last line.

Love ya.

Tefft

Scott Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Baker said...

Thanks Tefft, it is corrected.

Bake