Thursday, June 11, 2009

God of Peace

Right before dark last night I took the boys fishing out on Smith Mountain Lake. We had planned to go earlier but a summer storm moved through. When we went out, there was nobody on the lake. Just two hours before the lake had white caps on it, now it was calm. We were at the base of the mountain and it was so quiet and peaceful.

I love these moments when you are away from everything and you are able to soak in what God created. Even though you feel like you are alone you're not. God is everywhere, especially in the quietness. I kept pointing out to the boys how quiet it was. One of them pointed out the sun set off to the west as it came across the lake. In the stillness and quietness of the world it is hard not to experience God's presence.

I wonder what it was like for Adam and Eve living in the garden with the God of peace all around them. How could they desire more than what they had and eat from the only tree God told them not to eat from? They took what God had given them for granted. They stopped looking around and seeing God. They began to look at what they did not have instead of all that they had. And in that moment they lost it all.

On the lake, I could not stop looking at everything around me. I love the peacefulness of God. I can't wait to go out again this evening to experience His peace. I just hope we catch a few fish. But if we don't, it doesn't matter I got to fish with my heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a beautiful memory for your boys. And what a wonderful moment for you. Thanks for sharing.