Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Conversation with a Hindu

I am in the middle of a series called, "Things I wish Jesus Never Said." We have been looking at some tough and maybe controversial things that Jesus said when he walked this earth. Literally you could probably do several years of teachings of things you wish Jesus never said.

For what I am about to tell you it is important to tell you that the sign in front of the church simply gives the title of our series, not the topic of the day. This past Sunday the teaching was on: "I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). The issue we are addressing is whether Christianity is the only way to God or not. According to Jesus' statement here, Christianity is the only way.

According to a report put out by "religion.pewforum" 65% of self-identified Christians believe people can obtain eternal life through a non-Christian belief system. (Read more at Ed Stetzers blog)(Check out the May 11, 2009 entry)

Sundays teaching was not about bashing other world religions, it was about teaching why Christianity was unique compared to other world religions. I even shared some of the world religions I personally thought promoted a positive message, minus the hope of salvation through grace of course.

At the end of the second service a man walked in and sat down for the last 15 minutes of the service. I could tell he was from India right away. My first thought was, "Who called this man after first service to come and confront me on the teaching of the day." I prayed he would not stand up and make a scene when I was done.

After closing prayer I was looking for this man to explain to him what the message was about. He was looking for me as well. We went to my office and spent the next 30 minutes talking about the Hindu way of life. We are meeting again tonight to talk further. He wants to know more about Christianity.

There are a couple things amazing about this encounter: 1) He came because of the sign, 2) He is only in the United States until the end of the year and 3) He wants to know more about Christianity.

Pray that I can share with him the hope that only comes through Jesus. That what I say describes a lifestyle, not a religion.

I know the Spirit is involved, because of all days he chooses to show up, the teaching is on the difference between Christianity and other religions. I am excited to see what God does with this conversation.

1 comment:

Russ said...

I saw him come in and sit in front of me. Obviously a visitor and I too wondered if the subject might lend itself to have him approach you either during the service or right after. amazing how God puts people in the right place at the right time.