Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Shane Claiborne

I was invited to a Pastors breakfast this morning where Shane Claiborne was the guest speaker. Shane wrote "The Irresistible Revolution: living as an ordinary radical" and "Jesus for President."

I have read both books and am more fond of "The Irresistible Revolution." "Jesus for President" was a little to anti-war for my taste, yet has some good thoughts as well.

Seeing him in person was quite a treat though. He stood up with his dread-locks, black rimmed glasses and home made clothes (that's right, I said home made clothes). He spoke with a southern accent (which I love because it took me back to the mountains). Then he proceeded to talk about the kingdom of God in a way that most don't. He talked about a radical way of living that brings real hope and real change to the world.

He talked about his internship with Mother Teresa where he learned what it really meant to love people. He talked about his disenchantment with the institutional church. While he is thankful for the teaching he got growing up in a Methodist church, he still sought to discover what it means to really be a follower of Jesus. He talked about community living in the inner city of Philadelphia. He talked briefly about politics and said, "We need to stop worrying about donkeys and elephants and think about the lamb of of God."

At times in his books he has gone a little to far for my comfort, but I do not know if it is because I don't agree with him or if it is my unwillingness to give up some of the things I enjoy in life. Regardless, he makes me think about my relationship with Jesus and at times it gets a little uncomfortable. But, Jesus never called us to a life of comfortable living.

Here is my question to you: Have you gotten to comfortable in your Christian walk? What is it you can do to shake it up a little bit? Trust Jesus and he will take you places you never dreamed you could go.

No comments: