Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It starts with a Bicycle


Being involved with a church plant in Cleveland has given me a heart for church planting. I have come to believe that church planting is not just a cool thing to be a part of, it is a Biblical Mandate. Church planting is the most effective way of reaching people who are far from God.

The passion God has created inside of me for church planting has given me an opportunity to be a part of something that will not only reach people who are far from God, but be able to reach people who are far from God on the other side of the world.

My involvement with Round Lake Christian Assembly has introduced me to a man who is one of my favorite people in all the world, Dereck Mushayamunda. Dereck is the one who is trying to get us to take a basketball camp to Zimbabwe. But due to the current situation there, we were unable to go this year. We will get there someday. This video will at least introduce you to Dereck an Zimbabwe. It will also introduce you to another friend of mine who is the Missions minister in Winston Salem, NC. (here)

Dereck shared with me that there were other villages in the area of the Mushayamunda Village who were asking for a church. I asked him what it took to plant a church in Zimbabwe. It starts with someone to lead the church. Which they have. The next step is a bicycle (cost $100). This summer the Baker family bought a bike for a man in Zimbabwe. The cost now is $60-$80 a month to pay the leader of the church. A lady at Northwest has already spontaneously contributed to the church plant.

So for an initial cost of $100 and $720-$960 a year there can be a new church in Zimbabwe reaching people who are far from God. The area for the new plant is called Chiremwaremwa (don't ask me how to pronounce it, I am just getting use to Mushayamunda).

If you would like to contribute to this church plant let me know and I can give you the information to make that happen.

No comments: