Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Democratic Convention- "Plastic?"

Have you been watching the Democratic National Convention? I watch both conventions, I love them. I like to watch people who are good speakers communicate to a crowd. I may not agree with them, but I like to watch them. One of my favorite public speakers is Ted Kennedy. Like I said, I may not agree with him on most things, but he is a great public speaker. He does a great job of engaging a crowd.

So far my perception of the convention can be summed up in one word - "plastic." Everything seems so staged (I am sure the Republican Convention will be the same). We knew what the objective was of Michelle Obama, she came out and performed. She did not seem herself. She was different from other speeches I have seen in the past.

Hillary, she said what she needed to say, not what she wanted to say. I was hoping she would say what she wanted to say and maybe she did in a subtle way. Obama sitting in front of a TV in someone's home was nice but again it seemed stage. I mean who watches TV sitting on a foot stool in a shirt and tie? Come on, put on a pair of shorts and sit back in that recliner with an ice cold drink and some popcorn.

I am looking forward to former president Clinton tonight. Another great communicator who knows how to engage an audience. Who knows what he will say. It could be exciting. It will probably be a little plastic as well with Hillary returning the favor and mouthing "I love you" to her husband as he is on stage.

This lack of authenticity shows how out of touch the political movement in America really is when it comes to the people they represent.

Here is what I have learned so far. In a culture where people are looking for authenticity, how is it that politics on both sides seems so staged? Maybe this is why only a small percentage of the country really takes the time to go out and vote.

There is a lesson for Christ followers in all of this- Be authentic! If you are like me and you are watching the conventions thinking that it seems so plastic, take an honest look at yourself as a Christian. Are you authentic or putting on a show? How about the church you serve at, is it authentic or plastic? Authenticity really makes a difference as to whether people will be engaged in a movement or not.

Think about Jesus. He was on message. He was authentic. He was real. There was nothing plastic about Him. And people want to be like Him. And to be like Him, you have to be authentic. The world is watching and they are in desperate need of Christ followers we are authentic in their relationship with Jesus. The world is in desperate need of Christ followers who really love people. The world does not need another staged event, it does not need something staged, the world needs some that real that can change their life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting word, authentic. It seems simple in concept: be real, be truthful - but it seems we have a difficult time being that all the time. I think authenticty is the foundation for any personal relationship.

If I'm not myself with you or you don't know if you can believe my words and actions, then we aren't connected to each other. We're strangers.

And if I'm not seen as authentic as a Christian, then what does that lead others to think about God - that He's not real, that He's not trustworthy? Where does that lead them?

I've been struggling in my character and the mark I'm leaving on others, especially at work - I haven't been kind at times. I started a couple weeks ago to begin my mornings with the thoughts "I love you God, help me love and show love to others." I put your church motto on a sticky at work to remind me whose I am and how I should be relating to others. It's been a good couple of weeks with my office mates...should have done this earlier for them and me.

Maybe we should be telling each other on a regular basis to "Get Real".

Kimberly