Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Witness (part 4)

Marc was getting an early start on his day. He was sitting at the table reading Jesus’ model prayer in Matthew 6. He was stuck on verse 9 and 10: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

“Your kingdom come?” he thought to himself, “What does this mean?”

Just then Henry walked in. He got his usual black coffee, picked up a paper and sat down at the table behind Marc. The paper was more of a disguise, because Henry was curiously watching Marc. He wanted to see what motivated Marc to give an anonymous gift to Sally. He could hear Marc quietly mumbling to himself, “Your kingdom come, your will be done. Your kingdom come, your will be done.”

Marc bowed his head and passionately prayed to himself, “Lord, bring your kingdom to this place and teach me to follow your will.”

Sally came in, ordered her latte and gave the barista her gift card. She had a smile on her face as she made her way to the table by the window. She would stare out the window for a while and then scan the room trying to find her gracious gift giver. She would always look at Marc as he read his bible just a little longer than everyone else. It was as if she knew it was Marc who gave her the gift card.

Henry got up, folded his newspaper and tucked it under his arm. He went back up to the counter and topped off his cup. He did not go back to his table. He stopped at Marc’s table. “Can I ask you a question?” he said to Marc.

“Sure” Marc said.

Henry leaned over to Marc and said, “Why did you do it?”

“Do what?” Marc responded.

“Buy her a gift card,” he said as he pointed to Sally. She could not hear the conversation. She was having one of her moments where she was staring out the window thinking about life.

Marc did not really want to talk about it. He tried to make this as anonymous as possible, but his secret was out. To keep from drawing attention to this conversation Marc politely asked Henry to have a seat. As he was sitting down Marc was quickly thinking to himself how he would answer this question.

As Henry settled in, Marc said, “Because Jesus said to.”

“What?” Henry said.

Marc slid his notebook over in front of Henry and said, “Because Jesus said to.” He pointed to his notes where it said:

Focus #2: Become the salt of the earth and light of the world

- give to the needy

Henry did not know what to say, he was on a journey to find an authentic relationship with Jesus. Is it possible he had found someone to help him on this journey? He shared with Marc the journey he was on and asked if he could meet him here every week.

Hesitantly Marc said, “Yes.” He could not get out of his mind what he had just prayed, “Lord, bring your kingdom to this place and teach me to follow your will.”

Hey I am just wanted to try something different by writing this story. But I am curious, should I keep going or does it stink. Be honest, I can handle the truth. I would rather you tell me to stop than make fun of me. Thanks for Reading- Bake

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I wondered where the story was coming from. I think it is interesting and think you should keep going.

Plus, I never knew what a barista was until I read the story.

Anonymous said...

I think it was interesting and well done. Keep it up. I didn't and I regret it.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I prefer reading about what is on your mind. But that is just my preference

Anonymous said...

Yes, keep writing. I'm SO glad that Marc seems to be moving away from being so clueless! It will be fun to watch grow him on his path with God. Sometimes fiction speaks truth more clearly - ironically!