Friday, May 9, 2008

Brag about your Mom

Last week I stood at the gravesite of my mother in Salem, Va. I do not get there often, but every time I stand there I think of so many different things. I think of how she would love my kids. I think about how much she would love Rhonda. But I also think about what type of woman she was:

She was fun to be around, a great cook, a great wife. She knew how to make you feel good when you were down. She knew how to discipline for things that mattered. She was a hard worker, always there and always thought about others. She loved God and loved people. She loved Fresca, pasta and going to the beach. She liked pottery, antiques and the Blue Ridge Parkway. She liked to play cards, working puzzles and driving fast. She loved her friends, family and church. She was the life of the party.

But most of all she was my mother!

What about you? What do you love about your mother!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right about every thing you said. She even had patience with my terrible bridge play. We were married for almost 20 years and never got angry at one another in that time. Obviously, she had a lot of patience.

Anonymous said...

My mother's memory is always with me. She's the whisper of the leaves as I walk down the street. she's the smell of certain foods I remember, flowers I pick and perfume that she wore. She lives in my laughter & my tear drops. She is the place I came from, my first home, and she's the map I follow with every step I take. She's my first love & my first enemy, but nothing on earth can separate us, not even this thing we call death.