Sunday, February 17, 2008

What's your game?

I do not play a lot of golf and I don't go to a a lot of movies. I normally see a movie later than it's release on T.V. Saturday night I started watching "The Legend of Bagger Vance." It was getting late and I knew I had to preach the next day so I DVR'ed the rest of the movie. I love DVR!

Sunday afternoon I sat down and wathced the rest of the moive. Rannulph Junah hits a ball into the woods. He comes to a crossroads in the game he is playing and wants to quit. He wants to go back to his old ways. Bagger Vance approaches Junah to encourage him to keep on going. Bagger Vance says, "What I am talking about is a game. A game that can't be won-- only played." Isn't that a great definition about life. Life is a game that can't be won-- only played.

Bagger Vance then hands him a club and says, "Now play the game-- your game. The one only you was meant to play. The one that was given ya when you came into this world." We all were given a game to play. We were all created by God to do something special in His kingdom. What we need to do is discover the game we were given to play when we came into this world. Once we discover this game we play.

The statements Bagger Vance makes in the movie reminds me of what Paul wrote in the Bible. He said, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

I do not know about you, but I want to play the game God gave me to play. I do not want to get to the end of my life, look back and think, "I never played the game." Instead, I watched and read about others that played the game they were meant to play.

God has given you and me a game. What's your game?

Play the game!

No comments: