Thursday, November 24, 2011

Almost Heaven

Dad could not get home early enough on Thanksgiving Eve. I waited in great anticipation for his car to drive up, for him to change clothes and for the family to climb into the station wagon heading for West Virginia. We were off to Maw Maw and Paw Paw's house for Thanksgiving.

When we got there Jane, Jerry, Chuck and Doug were usually already there. We unloaded the car settled in and it was almost heaven. Everyone had their room assignments and we sat in the living room catching up on life. We eventually retired to our quarters for a great nights sleep in the quietness of Wayside, West Virginia, Almost heaven.

We slept upstairs (Chuck, Doug and Me) which was great because Paw Paw kept the house so hot with the wood burning stove the temperature was closer to hell than heaven. At least upstairs was cooler during the night. If only we could experience the comfort of that heat again.

Chuck always got up before the sun and got ready by flashlight for a day of hunting. Doug and I, we slept in until we could smell sausage cooking. What an alarm to wake up to--sausage in the frying pan. We ate and then we headed for the woods for a couple hours of deer hunting. Adolescents with high powered rifles and shot guns, by themselves in the woods. Unbelievable, I know. It's West Virginia, guns are a part of life.

We never killed anything that I remember but it was fun being in the woods in hopes to get a shot off.

We would come in when they called for us. It was time for Thanksgiving Dinner. To this day I don't know how all of us sat around the same table in the kitchen. When I sit at that table today, I remember all of us gathering around that table eating: Canned green beans, canned pickled beets, Frozen sweet corn not from the store but from a summer of Oscar and Hazel spending time in the garden. And Maw Maw and Jane spending time canning and freezing.

One year Paw Paw had killed a turkey and we had that for Thanksgiving Dinner. Along with mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, gravy, homemade rolls and did I mention gravy. We laughed and had fellowship around a meal together. We never really talked about it but I believe we were all thankful that God had brought us together for another year, Almost Heaven.

After dinner there was the pie. Wow! I do not know where my grandmother found the time. Doug and I would cut a pumpkin pie in half and we shared a pie together. No whipped cream--it didn't need it--this was heaven.

I woke up this morning thinking about this day. Today I am thankful for the family I grew up with and I am thankful for the family I have to spend the day with now.

But if there was one experience I could relive it would be that day--in that house-- in that place--Wayside, West Virginia--with all those people--Almost Heaven!

I am Thankful to have had that expereince.

No comments: