Thursday, July 1, 2010

July 4th 1776

I just finished my teaching for Sunday. I plan to read part of the Declaration of Independence. I am not sure I have really read it before, I am sure I have but I don't remember when. The last line before 56 men signed may be the most powerful words ever written in our nations history. When I read this last line it allowed me to understand why the men who founded this great nation could win against the powerful British.

"And for the support of the Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of the divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."

What would happen if followers of Jesus would have the same tenacity as these 56 men who put into motion a revolution for the ages? What if the leaders of the church could come together and pledge to Jesus their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor?

It tell you what would happen. The kingdom of God would advance and the gates of hell would not stand a chance. People who are far from God would know God. Lives that are on the brink of destruction would be transformed. It would not be an easy battle but victory would be inevitable!

Because like these 56 men we would live with the same firm reliance that brought this great country into existence. This reliance would not be on ourselves. It would not consist of our own power or position. It would be a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence. It would be founded on the mission God has given the church and although difficult the war would be won--the war has been won!

Jesus has already been victorious!

So when we come together and celebrate the fourth, the birth of this nation, let's not forget the passion this country was founded on and let's apply it to our faith and the church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!