Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Mother" John 2:1-11

There was never a doubt in my mind that my mother was proud of me and always wanted me to do well. When I played football in high school she sat in the same place and watched the game intently hoping that I would do well. I am pretty sure she never really understood the game completely because she never watched football on T.V. with dad and me. So she probably cheered for the wrong things sometimes.

"Holding, number 63 for Salem," the announcer would say.

"Yeah, Scott, that's my boy," mom would say.

It is in those moments if I were there I would say, "Mommmmmm!"

She probably said things like, "Doesn't he really look cute in his outfit."

First it is a uniform not an outfit. Second football players do not want to look cute they want to look tough and intimidating.

She loved watching me play, even if she may not have completely understood the game. My senior year when she was sick, I brought home the films so she could watch my games. She died on a Thursday morning, Tuesday evening she was watching the film until she got to tired.

I am fortunate to have a mother that was easy to respect and honor. I know it is difficult for some. But as a follower of Jesus we have to find a way to live by the
5th command in the 10 commandments. "Honor your father and mother so that you may live long in the land of the Lord your God is giving you" (Exodus 20:12). As a follower of Jesus we need to learn to live by all the teachings of God.

Jesus, even though he was God, had to fulfill the law perfectly. He was not exempt from the very law he created. In John 2, he is at a wedding feast. They run out of wine for the feast. It was going to be a moment of embarrassment for the groom. Mary, Jesus' mother goes to him telling her son they don't have any more wine (some speculate this may be a relatives wedding because of Mary's concern for the groom).

Jesus said to her, "Why do you involve me? My time has not yet come." It is almost like he is saying, "Mommmmmm!" as he roles his eyes. He gives us a glimpse of his divinity by saying "his time had not yet come." But his human side comes out as he lives by the 5th command and honors his mothers wishes.

Like any proud mother who wants to give praise to her son she begins to tell the servants to do whatever Jesus tells you to do. Like any good son Jesus gives them directions and he turns water into wine, saving the day just like his mother knew he could.

Mary may not have completely understood the mission her son had come to accomplish, but she was proud of him and knew he had the ability to take care of the problem at the wedding feast.

So what does this mean for us? Jesus came to teach us how to live as followers of God. Being a follower of God means we obey what he teaches us to do in scripture. Obedience to God always takes precedent over whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. Obeying God's commands will make what we are trying to accomlish easier. Jesus came for a greater mission and purpose than changing water to wine. Yet when his mother involved him, he honored her request.

Our problem is that we have a tendency to rationalize why we should not follow a certain teaching. Jesus had a good excuse here to rationalize why he should not get involved, but he didn't. Why do we think we get a pass when Jesus doesn't?

John says this was Jesus' first miracle in Galilee and it revealed his glory and his disciples put his trust in him. See,obedience to God's teaching actually helped Jesus in his mission.

If we trust him, we will live like him in every way.

No comments: